05 December 2013

Golden Whistler and Eastern Yellow Robin

Now I've let the cat out of the bag; you know what to expect.  But if I didn't title it this way you might've thought  a title like "Yellow makes my day - how about yours?" not worth looking at. Maybe just a bunch of yellow flowers?


Well yes there were (yellow flowers), lots on this sporting oval, but also maybe a birding opportunity down by the creek, below the trees?  Nothing ventured, nothing gained ... 

they're Coreopsis - and often seen on wild roadside verges now and certainly looking cheery; I think yellow does that for you somehow



 no idea what kind of tree this is standing at the top of the creek bank.  



an interesting vine 

Not sure why, but Blogger every now and then, doesn't want to publish  true to the image I have in my files.  This here, shows much lighter than the image actually is.  Anyone else experience this?

I find it has happened during the past month or more now.  

there was a sign near the carpark saying this is platypus territory.  Wouldn't it have been lovely to see one or two; no such luck.  I'd like to have surprised you but I can't.

wouldn't we all want a decent photo too, of a Golden Whistler with a head on??

the sweet little bird is even sitting about sunning itself for heavens sake and I still can't get it all in from where I stand!  If only I was a few feet taller it might've helped some.  8' 2" is kind of asking a lot isn't it; maybe stilts would be handy; that could be dangerous though.

do you see what I see; that is a beak isn't it??  That means there's got to be a head on this Golden Whistler.  Well I'll leave you to imagine it.

Sorry I missed out on completing the jigsaw; it sure would've been real fun to get my first shot of a Golden Whistler entire.  Maybe next time :)

 Lovely and green after lots of spring rains and a walk along the path starts going downhill now, to be left standing at the top of the bank.


Hallelujah!!  In there was this delightful little  Eastern Yellow Robin.  

25 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

well, i was hoping for a whistling duck, but that bird in pieces will have to do. :)

Karen said...

A lovely place for a walk. That little Robin is sweet!

I think the photo issue is due to google+. One of the reasons I haven't joined. It's in the fine print. For some reason "they" are "enhancing" your photos for you.

Our photos said...

Your photoblog is nice!!!
Have a nice day!

Montanagirl said...

Lovely photos! I haven't joined Google+ either. Somehow, I balk at change.

John @ Beans and I on the Loose said...

Wow, if what Karen wrote is correct I am glad I never went there. I have enough difficulty navigating through someone's blog who uses G+ as it is. Even if you say it isn't much to look at I like that meadow with the yellow flowers.

Red Nomad OZ said...

Hahaha ... at least you can still tell why the headless bird was called a Golden Whistler!! Praise be that I'm not the only one who has a whole clutch of bird part photos on my hard drive ...

Irma said...

Beautiful series of pictures, Carole.
The last picture is werkleijk sublime.
The header is very nice with the Christmas hats.
Greetings Irma

Carole M. said...

interesting Karen ... I haven't noticed any enhancements at all; only 'changes' such as an image becoming much lighter than it is saved. Strangely it may only happen on one or more images inside a single post, no matter how many times I cancel and replace it; and it doesn't always happen at all in some posts. Appreciate your input.

eileeninmd said...

The Yellow flowers are so pretty and they go well with the yellow birds. Even the headless bird is a pretty yellow. Interesting that Google is enhancing your photos. Great series, have a happy day!

Seraphinas Phantasie said...

Wonderful yellow finds. I like the yellow flowers and the birds with yellow feathers.
Here in Europe it´s cold outside. I think, we get snow today.
Best regards, Synnöve

Elizabeth Edwards said...

i love your bee / flower shot.

curious - how did you decide what to name your header shot birds? ( :

Jeanne said...

Love your little bird finds carole, and sorry that you did not find a platypus. I have to say I have never seen one, so will hope that you are able to find one some day. hOpe your pre christmas season is going well. Am jealous of the lovely flowere as ours are totally gone!

Helma said...

A beautiful yellow blog not only with yellow flowers, but also a very pretty yellow bird. The yellow of the bark also fits in there :-)

Wally Jones said...

But, Carole, if you had gotten a perfect photo of the Golden Whistler, you would have reason to go back for a return visit!

Wonderful images, all!

Yes, yellow improves my mood!

Carole M. said...

thanks for your comments all, seems yellow is a feel-good-colour for lots of us. Beth: you asked how did I get the names for the wrens on their Santa hats - Well, the female Superb Fairy Wren is known as the Jenny-Wren, and the male of the species, has a reputation for having multiple female partners, Casanova pretty much covers that I thought.

Bob Bushell said...

Beautiful walk in the country, with everything. Nice one Carole.

Jan Castle said...

Lovely yellow collection Carole, my husband thought the tree is maybe a sycamore???I thought perhaps a Madrone tree....whatever - it is interesting!!!
Jan

Laura said...

Carole, I love the beautiful green grass, yellow coreopsis (what a nice shot of the Bee on one of them!) and the wonderful bird photos!! You take marvelous photos!! And you know the types of birds! Love your red hats on the birdies on your blog header photo!!! So cute!! hugs, Laura

Brian King said...

The Whistler is a brilliant yellow! Beautiful! And so is the robin! Excellent shot!

Carole M. said...

always enjoy reading your comments, thanks all. Jan: thank your hubby for his input on the tree/trunk. He could be right on the sycamore; I've not heard of the madrone tree before though.

Mari said...

Oh my, nature is so full of beauty ♥

It's nice to see trees and all that green, because in here Finland we have winter right now.

Waldameise Andrea said...

Wenn ich Ihre schönen Fotos sehe, bekomme ich Sehnsucht nach Frühling und Sommer. Aber hier steht nun erst einmal der Winter vor der Tür.

Niedlich sind die zwei Vögel auf Ihrem Header.

Liebe Grüße
Waldameise

Marilyn said...

Delightful post, Carole. Keep on snapping those birds for us to enjoy!

Stewart M said...

Great birds!

I only see the magpies fighting with each other when my camera is at home!

Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

Unknown said...

Eastern Robins pose a bit but those jolly Golden Whistlers ........