08 July 2013

just looking for birds near the lake yesterday.....

more of Lake Macquarie

 Lewins Honeyeater in the Casuarina (she-oak)




While I was standing looking out here at the mangroves, a White-bellied Sea Eagle circled overhead.  When I thought I'd get it in the viewfinder, the trees were in the way. Then I heard the sound of lots of waterbirds flying in, coming from where I'd already been, a distance away to get back there. 

Now there were Black Swans over there






and I guess these were Little Black Cormorants; so many had flown in.  At first I thought a fishing frenzy?  But hey look!  When I was editing for this blog post, there is the White-Bellied Sea-Eagle down near the water, to the left; (I'd thought!) WRONG assumption!  Thanks to Liz, blogger of The Greatest of These is Love, with a new comment to remind me that the W.B. Sea-Eagle doesn't have a stripe on the wing tips.  That this appears to be more gull-like. Seems you've got it right Liz, a Silver Gull perhaps?



After all that excitement, an Eastern Yellow Robin, another sweet little you-beaut' bird to me and I've never seen it in this location before.  

For clearer images of this bird, this blog post from May reveals more.


22 comments:

Bob Bushell said...

Oh, that's nice, and White-bellied Sea Eagle, superb.

Unknown said...

A beautiful place to look for beautiful birds Carole..!!
Costas

Dianne said...

It's amazing what we find when we stop and look ... a great collection Carole.

Phil Slade said...

Seven Sea Eagles!! Now that's just greedy Carole. Just kidding. I rememeber seeing one in Malaysia snatching a Little Egret and I guess they could as easily take a Little Cormorant too?

TexWisGirl said...

the blue in the opening shot...wow! love the reflections and all the fowl activity! the robin is sweet, too!

Anonymous said...

magnificent lake!!

Brian King said...

How cool to have that many eagles there at the same time! I like the Black Swans. We don't see them in this area. Beautiful lake!

Irma said...

Beautiful pictures Carole.
The last picture is my favorite.
Regards, Irma

John @ Beans and I on the Loose said...

I've never seen what you did in that photo with the sea eagle done before. Pretty smart you are.

Jeanne said...

Lovely shots Carole! What a treasure this lake is for your birding!

Seraphinas Phantasie said...

This is a wonderful lake with a lot of birds. So beautiful !
Best regards, Synnöve

Karin said...

Hey Carole,

wonderful pictures and very nice and interesting birds. You must sit in wait for a long time?
The kangaroo's are great, too.

Karin

Jenny said...

Beautifully tranquil and awe inspiring photos! xo Jenny

Jan Castle said...

Lovely day for being near the lake even if you were not looking for birds!! Great shots!

Carole M. said...

Dianne: well yes it is amazing sometimes what we'll see if time is taken to 'smell the roses'. John/Sinbad: On the down-sized photograph for this blog-post, I'd added the selected image of the sea-eagle from the original size photograph. At least it offered a chance to see - it was the sea-eagle out there. Karin: Well I wasn't 'sitting' - I just walk about and stand, and hope I'll get lucky. Some times nothing is near enough for me to photograph; not every outing is a successful one, photograph wise. Also, not every photograph is worth putting up on my blog either; there's plenty of dummy-shots I discard! The bird is too blurry - I must've moved a smidgin' with all the excitement of the potential capture in my fingertips - or the bird flits off. Anyone who goes out to photograph birds, already knows this :).

eileeninmd said...

Pretty lake and a nice outing. Great birds, I love the black swans and the cool sea eagle. Wonderful post and photos.

Montanagirl said...

I've never heard of an Eastern Yellow Robin, nor have I ever seen one. How beautiful! The Black Swans intrigue me.

diane b said...

You show me so many birds that I didn't know we even had. Clever editing with the sea eagle in the inset. How did you do that??

Helma said...

Very nice pictures again Carole, and how nice done with the little recess in the picture number 7. Very nicely done.

And euhhh .... you call me Irma but I still called Helma hear * lol *

Grandma Barb's This and That said...

What a great lake for bird sightings. Love the little Eastern Yellow Robin and the tree with all the mushrooms!

Lisa Gordon said...

Carole, these view of the lake are just gorgeous!

Liz said...

What a beautiful series, Carole!! The lake looks like such a lovely spot.

I don't think they are Sea Eagles though as the wings of a White-bellied Sea Eagle, are almost entirely black/dark gray on top and the underneath of the wings are half black & half white. They look more like some kind of gull based on the wing markings and size in comparison to the Cormorants.