25 September 2012

Back to our retreat then ....

You were last reading this post if you've been following my recent journey out west.

On our way back in .. then a walk around, before drink and nibblies outdoors, under the trees.

According to the brochure, there are five man-made islands constructed over many years here, struggling with long drought periods in between progress and with assistance from many acknowledged, environmental conscious people.  

It took a while to find 'an island' but it was hiding there in the middle of all this dry, and as the light was fading fast, my chances of getting any decent photographs of the ducks swimming in the reeds was thwarted.  The sun-setting in the direction from which we'd came/wetlands, was spectacular, in the way, way distance -- such vibrant deep, dark pinks, amazing.  It was also hiding behind trees, so again, no chance to photograph.

However!   I did get to photograph this treasure by a little channel alongside the path we were walking; lucky us?!

Carpet or Diamond Python; can't say it thrilled us especially, but I was pleased to see a pattern indicating a python over any of our venemous varieties (brown or black snake).  I just haven't gotten attached to this part of nature's bounty and it was just a tad too close for comfort.  Yes, that drink back at the campsite went down well.

After quite a sting-in-the-sun kind of day, it culminated in a storm that evening once all tucked up in our bunks.  A tree branch tried to keep us awake by scraping across the top of the van in the winds while it rained some too. 

All gone next morning and our plan was to leave straight after breakfast; outdoors with our cereal bowls in the crisp morning air to greet a new day.  Then the obligatory black coffee for a kick start and we were to head up then to the owner's place. to pay our way.  One gateway to drive through, and then hers to walk through....this is it coming up next.
 with a welcoming sign


 Prickly Pear

Peacocks



And as we hopped back in the ute, there was the owners pet emu, day-dreaming, outside the house-yard.

penny for your thoughts?

Next post, we'll make it to the marshes!

17 comments:

Elizabeth Edwards said...

now that is a new sign for me ... that is hilarious!! still laughing. i would say i know a few folks who could really use that sign. ha. ha!!

if i saw that snake i would be running the other way. you are brave.

i love all the birds but that white one is so different from what i'm use to seeing that i'm just taken back. wow, what a lovely bird. (:

Anonymous said...

So in like with your peacock photos.. they're colors have always caught my fancy.

TexWisGirl said...

we have a lot of those kinds of signs here in texas. :) i was worried about you rambling about in the almost darkness. glad the snake was there to warn you back to camp!

Dianne said...

This is real rural Australia Carole .... I wouldn't have liked meeting with that python eek!!
brave you for staying long enough to take a pic.

John @ Beans and I on the Loose said...

Now that we're back home I can catch up on my favorite bloggers. I went back to view your Out West posts and appreciate you showing something I'll never get to see. I like snakes, and the python is fine with me. But just the thought of your Brown Tiger snake scares me. Glad you have them. I'll keep our rattlesnakes. At least they warn you first.

mick said...

The peacocks are beautiful - especially the white one.

Seraphinas Phantasie said...

Amazing photos from the peacocks. Beautiful impressions from your journey.
Best regards, Synnöve

Mildred said...

Very nice series!
Love the peacoks!
Thanks for sharing. And thanks for visiting and taking the time to comment.

***
Have a nice day****

Stewart M said...

An outdoor breakfast is never the same without black coffee - or strong, sweet black tea!

Nice post.

Stewart M - Melbourne

Judy said...

I guess it has been a long time since I stopped by...
I love the birds!! The peacocks are beautiful, but the emu is so unusual!

Liz Mays said...

Such wonderful discoveries, but I do not like that GIANT snake. Oh no!

Irma said...

Great pictures of the peacocks, Carole.
Beautiful description of the trip.
The snake I find scary.
Greetings Irma

theconstantwalker said...

What an amazing post Carole.. I love reading about your adventures.

FilipBlog said...

Great pictures but wouldn't like to encounter such a pyton.

Greetings,
Filip

Jan Castle said...

The peacock pictures are sooooo nice. Love their coloring! Can' t say Iwould enjoy the snake either....a bit scary!
Paper Hugs,
Jan

Liz said...

I haven't managed to get attached to that variety of wildlife either!
Lovely Peacock shots and the Emu is rather funny.
What a sign!!

Red Nomad OZ said...

I'll bet he was dreaming that some kind person would give him a snack!!