10 April 2012

Red Wattlebird - video

It seems to me that the larger bird is the Red Wattlebird (because of the yellow on its body), though it doesn't yet exhibit the red wattles (ear-lobes). It certainly is much larger than the smaller Wattlebird isn't it, which could be a juvenile Red Wattlebird, or perhaps a Little Wattlebird (I'm guessing now!).

Regular traffic happens on the other side of the bush-corridor (about two house blocks deep) behind my back boundary, and of course I notice it most when I want to record something like this. While listening over this clip I realize there's a speedboat, down at the bay, also in the equasion.  To mute the audio seems a shame, which would then also isolate any random bird chirps, so we're stuck with this unique combo'.

A litte long perhaps, but the Red Wattlebird is having such a good time of it, and the smaller bird appearing every now and then, wondering quite how to try it all out for itself.  Hope you get to see the last quarter especially, when the smaller bird finally manages to have its own turn, though a little tentative at first.

This video was taken over the weekend ....





10 comments:

Grandma Barb's This and That said...

Carole, I'm loving your bird bath videos. The little bird was so cute peeking over the edge of the bird bath. When he finally got up enough nerve to try it, he looked like a student pilot practicing touch and go landings.

Brian King said...

The smaller bird cracked me up the way he'd almost fly through the water! Just enough to get wet and then gone. LOL

TexWisGirl said...

i like the yellow belly on the large one. and the little one does dash thru. :)

CameraCruise said...

Thanks for sharing another great video, loved both of them.
I think I must get a bird bath for my garden.
Have a wonderful day.
Mette

Horst in Edmonton said...

Awesome video sequence.

Anonymous said...

I love it, especially how the smaller bird pops in and out of the bush when the Wattlebird leaves and curiously checks out the water before finally taking a dip himself! Great video Carole!

theconstantwalker said...

Wonderful Carole.. it's a lovely little bird to see.
A great little video clip.

John @ Beans and I on the Loose said...

The smaller bird is acting more like it is his first bath ever. Like he is trying to immitate what the larger bird is doing. Well I still am not picking up on the Lloyd Bridges sound. All I hear is what I assume is the traffic noise which sounds more like waves crashing on a sandy beach nearby. Not bothersome to me any. I never did hear the speedboat. Maybe this is all because I have a regular old laptop computer and not a fancy Apple Imac. My wife is always telling me I am missing out because I don't have a Mac and says I should switch.

Sharyl said...

Love that little "back flip" the larger bird does into the water! ha! That bath is the funniest thing I've seen in ages! The sneaky little bird to the left is a real hoot too! Funny ending with them each taking turns dashing in and out of the water. I just know you are going to "go viral" with one of these videos, Carole, and we can all say, "we knew you when!)

Grandma C said...

Never have I seen a bird do a back flip into water before. lol
What a wonderful video!