09 November 2011

Butcherbird, Little Wattlebird, and the Noisy Miner

Glad I moved this little water-dish close to the back door recently.  It means I might sometimes get lucky and happen to pick up photo opportunity like this one. Even though taken through the glass, it's often a better than nothing shot.

The Grey Butcherbird Cracticus torquatus, can be easily identified by its very melodic call, but it rarely comes close to the house. You definately know when they're about; so sweet their song.   It'd been a hot day (only yesterday), and I'm so glad it found refuge for a moment, to have a drink.  How about that hooked beak?!


There's much to be read on the Grey Butcherbird here on the Australian Birds in Backyards website, including, how they got that name.


These Little Wattlebirds (Anthochaera chrysoptera), known as a honeyeater, enjoying a splashing good time!  They too have a melodic, though somewhat raucous, tune.



This exotic looking Bird of Paradise plant, is currently exuding sweet nectar, attracting both the Little Wattlebird, and the Noisy Miner (Manorina melanocephala).  This bird looks docile enough but is extremely territorial and aggressive, even to birds much bigger than itself.  They tend to back one another up in huge flocks when an alarm call is made. 


Linking to Pine River Review for

16 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

such cool birds you have there! :)

Brian King said...

Beautiful photos, Carole! I've never seen a Butcherbird or a Wattlebird. Nice job!

Dave said...

a very lovely post Carole. The Butcherbird is certainly a new one for my armchair list

Thanks for sharing
Dave

Springman said...

Fascinating post Carole. The bird of paradise plant is something to see. Great catch on the Butcher bird, you never know who will turn up for drinks!

mick said...

A very nice series of photos. I think I can even see the drops of water on the butcherbird in the first photo!

Larry said...

Great post Carole. Your Butcherbird reminds me of our Shrikes. Impaling their prey and all. I imagine that beak comes in handy for that. The bird of paradise is just amazing! I remember my Mom grew one on our front porch when I was a kid but it was orange.

Lyn S said...

Great bird photos Carole, especially the first one! I haven't seen a white bird of paradise flower before, we have many around our neighbourhood in flower at the moment, they're all orange coloured flowers - it must be a good year for them too as I'm noticing them everywhere now!

holdingmoments said...

Some beautiful birds you have there Carole. I love seeing all the different birds from around the world.
Lovely captures.

Arija said...

Love your butcherbird, we don't have them here and I so miss their song. Nice shot of the little wattle birds, we only have the big res wattlebirds that terrorise the cats. Those miner birds can be quite pesky when they build up in numbers.
Nice post.

Liz said...

Lovely shots Carole!!
Great capture of that nasty looking hook on the Butcherbird!
My next weeks post will be on a very cheeky Noisy Miner I captured last week amongst the Jacarandas!
Thanks for sharing!

Pat Ulrich said...

Really cool birds!

theconstantwalker said...

A fascinating to bird to see... Thanks for the info.

Unknown said...

Wow, great lookers!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

Jan Castle said...

WOW! Our Bird of Paradise flowers are orange and purple! These are lovely!!!
Paper Hugs,
Jan

Tracey Leeder said...

Awesome looking birds, so different then what I see here in my home town. That first bird has a mean looking beak. Your birds of paradise are beautiful.

Pat said...

Great captures of all these cool birds!